Whitehall Street, in the borough of Manhattan, is a street that is only four blocks long. It extends from the southern end of Broadway to the southern end of FDR Drive, adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry terminal. The street is one-way southbound near Bowling Green, for several blocks until Pearl Street. It is one-way northbound up from the FDR Drive near the Staten Island Ferry, again terminating at Pearl Street. The southernmost block, right beside the ferry terminal, provides access from FDR Drive to the Battery area. The street got its name when the Governor’s house was built at the foot of the street, after the British took over New Amsterdam from the Dutch. The British christened the street "Whitehall" after the seat of England’s government that has been historically based at London’s Whitehall.
The Topps Corporation and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority both have an office building on Whitehall Street. There are also several other buildings that provide commercial office space as well as a number of small shops.
Entertainment And Dining Out
One of the area’s landmarks is The Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House (originally U.S. Custom House). Built between 1902 and 1907 by the federal government to house the duty collection operations for the port of New York, it is now the home of the New York branch of the National Museum of the American Indian, as well as the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. In 2012, it also became home to the National Archives at New York City. The Whitehorse Tavern is located near this street. This is a dive bar (relaxed-neighborhood bar) offering pizza, Asian fusion, and Italian dishes.
The Whitehall Street – South Ferry station offers access to the 1, N, and R trains of the New York City Subway. Whitehall Street is located within an hours cab ride of both LaGuardia International Airport, and John F. Kennedy International Airport. These airports offer domestic and international flights to Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and the Caribbean isles.